The St. Eugene cemetery and the old Jewish cemeteries in Algiers
The St. Eugene cemetery, founded in 1849, is the last Jewish cemetery in Algiers.
This memorial site became difficult to access. The graves of rabbis who rebuilt the Jewish community in the fourteenth century, the tombstones of the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries transferred from old cemeteries, thousands of graves of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and the great memorial for France, are a condensed history of the Jewish community of Algiers that we need to preserve from the ravages of time and human madness.
The work is conducted in terms of research, preservation and memory. More than 18,000 graves were identified and indexed and complete Algiers vital records.